Red Dot Alerts Review & Alternative
This review will help you make an informed decision about subscribing to Red Dot Alerts and whether Lifeline might be a better alternative medical alert service.
Red Dot Alerts was created in 2018 by Bruyère, a research and health care organization that operates homes and services for seniors in the Ottawa area, and FCi Communications, an Ottawa-based security, technology and telecom call centre. Red Dot offers two services: the At Home service for use only inside the home, and the On the Go mobile service with GPS locating technology which can be used anywhere cellular service is available. Both services provide 24/7 help in an emergency by connecting to a call centre when the Red Dot help button is pushed.
At Home is paid for with a monthly fee, while On the Go requires an up-front $99 payment plus a monthly fee. Both services are available with automatic fall detection system for an additional monthly cost.
The Benefits of Red Dot Alerts Products
Red Dot Alerts is a reputable company and its personal alert solutions offer many important benefits. Its main benefit of its personal emergency response services is the peace of mind that comes with knowing help is available at the push of a button in case of a fall or medical emergency. With the extra-cost fall detection option, a help call is transmitted automatically to the Red Dot response centre if a fall is detected.
- Red Dot has a bilingual call centre in Ottawa to answer help calls, although it also answers calls for home alarm and telecom companies.
- All of Red Dot Alerts’ devices provide two-way communication with their call centre.
- Red Dot devices operate via a wireless signal. The On the Go device also uses a cellular signal to transmit help calls. No landline is required.
- The At Home and On the Go devices are water resistant and can therefore be worn in the bath or shower.
- Red Dot Alerts does not require a long-term contract.
Red Dot Alerts is a very good medical alert service but it is missing some important features that make the difference between good and great.
- No specialization: While Red Dot Alerts specializes in helping seniors, its call centre does not. A great medical alert service ensures that the people who are directly helping their customers understand the emergency needs of seniors and the chronically ill. Answering a help call from a senior who has fallen and can’t get up or who is experiencing chest pain is different than answering an automated call from a home alarm.
- Unknown training: Understanding how to help an elderly person or someone with a chronic illness requires proper training. It is not known whether Red Dot provides any training to its third party call centre or, if it does, how good that training might be. Training can make all the difference in an emergency.
- No follow-up on help calls: Once Red Dot’s call centre staff have arranged for help to be sent, it does not follow up to make sure the help has actually arrived at the customer’s location.
- Service only available in English and French: Canada is a very multi-cultural country.
Red Dot’s call centre can serve those who speak English or French but not as accessible for customers who speak other languages.
- Payment required up front: While Red Dot’s At Home service is paid via a monthly fee, its On the Go service requires an up-front $99 payment in addition to a monthly fee.
- No professional installation available: Red Dot requires that its customers set up its service and equipment themselves. Some people are not willing or able to do the job on their own and prefer that the service be set up by someone who knows how to do it properly. This service is not available with Red Dot.
The Best Alternative To Red Dot Alerts – Lifeline
If you are thinking about subscribing to the Red Dot Alerts medical alert service, you owe it to yourself to look into Lifeline as an alternative.
Lifeline is Canada’s leading medical alert service and has specialized in helping seniors and people with chronic illnesses live more confidently and independently for more than 45 years. To make sure its customers get the very best in prompt, expert and reliable 24/7 service, Lifeline operates its own Response Centres, one in Toronto and another in Montreal.
There are many reasons why Lifeline is the leader in medical alert services and why it is an excellent alternative to Red Dot Alerts:
- 45+ years experience helping the elderly and chronically ill live with independence and dignity in their own homes.
- Trusted by thousands of Canadian healthcare professionals, hospitals and community agencies.
- Lifeline’s exclusive focus is medical alert service – it is not an add-on to a home alarm/security service.
- Offers three levels of services to meet your needs: HomeSafe for 24/7 help-at-the- push-of-a-button at home, HomeSafe with automatic fall detection, and the On the Go mobile service with automatic fall detection and Advanced GPS locating technology.*
- All help button devices – pendant & bracelet help buttons – are easy to use and water resistant. Wearable help buttons are included in HomeSafe subscriptions as well.
- Wireless versions are available for HomeSafe and HomeSafe with automatic fall detection so that no landline is needed. The On the Go mobile device also uses its own cellular signal.
- Sophisticated fall detection technology designed to discriminate between real falls and everyday activities, reducing the possibility of false alarms.
- All Lifeline devices provide two-way communication with their Response Centres.
Help calls are answered by Lifeline’s own Response Centres in Toronto and Montreal, which are renowned for providing expert, knowledgeable and caring help in 240 languages.
- Response Centre staff receive 240 hours of training in how to handle the emergency needs of the elderly and chronically ill, plus annual recertification.
- Lifeline Response Centre staff follow up on help calls to make sure help arrives.
- Superior battery life: The On the Go mobile device battery can last up to 5 days.
- Lifeline has additional services to help caregivers with a loved one who needs reminders to take their medications. Subscribers can also add optional CheckIn calls to their subscription for additional support.
- Lifeline offers professional home installation by company representatives who also review the service and features with the customer.
- All maintenance is included
- No need to purchase equipment.
- Lifeline offers many free resources on its website to help customers and their caregivers stay healthy and reduce stress.
- Lifeline is the only medical alert service integrated with the healthcare system across Canada, providing resources, support and funding.
Compare Red Dot Alerts vs. Lifeline
|Features||Lifeline||Red Dot Alerts|
|Exclusive focus on seniors|
|Standard help at the push of a button|
|Automatic fall detection|
|Mobile Service with GPS Technology|
|Water resistant help button|
|Two-way voice communication|
|More than 45 years of Experience|
|Has own response centres in Canada||(2)|
|240 hours of training for response centre staff||N/A|
|Follow up to make sure help has arrived|
|Number of languages||240||2|
|Long-lasting battery life||Up to 5 days||Up to 36 hours|
|No equipment to buy|
|Professional home Installation available|
Top 5 Reasons You Should Choose Lifeline Over Red Dot Alerts
- Lifeline has a single-minded focus on the needs of older adults and the chronically ill.
- An expanding range of easy-to-use medical alert devices for every budget.
- 24/7 service in 240 languages from two Canadian Response Centres.
- Knowledgeable, caring Response Centre staff who receive 240 hours of training.
- Trusted by thousands of Canadian healthcare professionals.
People Who Chose Lifeline
“Words can barely express how much peace of mind this service has brought to me and my family since getting it. It has allowed me to live alone, in my own home, ever since my husband’s death years ago. A wonderful service.”
“After the Lifeline Home Service representative installed the service, I felt so secure. It makes me feel safe and it gives my family peace of mind.”
“Lifeline has given me my independence and confidence back. It is easy to use and well worth it.”
“Lifeline has relieved me of my concern and anxiety, knowing that my widowed mother-in-law who has recently developed Parkinson disease, is being monitored for falls and medical help is available. The peace of mind that this system is always operating has reassured me and my wife that the great grandmother of our grandchildren is living without the fear of being alone when help is needed.”
“To the amazing Lifeline team, Thank You so very much for your kind attention to my dad. I am more than satisfied for your great devotion.”
The Last Word
Red Dot Alerts is a very good medical alert service with a number of benefits, but many people believe that Lifeline has more to offer and is a superior choice. Lifeline has been the leading medical alert service in Canada for decades. It offers you a range of well-designed, reliable, easy-to-use products and, most important of all, excellent customer service from knowledgeable and caring staff. You can learn more about Lifeline by calling 1-800-LIFELINE (1-800-543-3546). Be sure to check out the many free resources on the Lifeline website, too.
More reviews about medical alert providers:
Learn More About Our Medical Alert Systems
Our most affordable system. Get access to help 24/7 at the push of a button.
- Use at home
- Pendant or wristband
- Two-way voice
Can automatically call for help if it detects a fall.
- Use at home
- Automatic Fall Detection
Mobile medical alert system with GPS gives you freedom to be safe while on the go.
- Use away or at home
- Automatic Fall Detection
- 5 Locating technologies