A Del-egg-table Twist on a Classic Recipe
Author: Lifeline Canada
Date: 24 October 2023
(NC) Lasagna needs no introduction. The delicious, layered casserole of cheese, wide flat noodles, rich red sauce and meat or veggies is hearty comfort food at its best. But we could all use a change at times. Try this twist – a common addition in some regions of Italy: sliced, hard-boiled eggs.
For an extra nutritional benefit, opt for eggs that offer added nutrients, such as Burnbrae Farms’ new Naturegg Omega Plus Solar Free Range eggs; a great source of DHA omega-3 fatty acids and lutein.
Easy Sicilian-Inspired Lasagna
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (750 ml) marinara or tomato basil sauce
- 1 can (540 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 package (475 g) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (500 ml) grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (125 ml) finely grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup (125 ml) 10% cream (half and half)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 16 lasagna noodles (approximately)
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled and sliced
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large deep skillet set over medium heat.
- Add beef, onion and garlic; cook, breaking up beef with a spoon until browned.
- Stir in sauce and tomatoes; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir ricotta cheese with mozzarella, Romano cheese, cream, eggs and basil. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cook noodles according to package directions, and drain well.
- Spread 1 cup (250 ml) of sauce in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Top with 3 to 4 noodles, trimming to fit.
- Repeat with 1 cup (250 ml) sauce and a second layer of noodles. Spread noodles with 1 cup (250 ml) sauce and half of the cheese filling.
- Arrange half of the sliced hard-boiled eggs evenly over top.
- Add another layer of noodles, sauce, remaining cheese filling and sliced eggs. Finish with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
What You Should Do Now:
Here are 5 ways we can help you or your loved one live safer and more independently at home as long as possible:
- Get our latest tips, tools and resources straight to your inbox. Sign up for our monthly newsletter.
- Not sure if the time is right for a medical alert service? Take this quick assessment to find out.
- If you would like to learn how to live a healthier and safer lifestyle, go to our blog or visit our resources section, where you can read and download guides.
- Wondering which medical alert system company is the best for your needs? We’ve put together a guide comparing the best medical alert systems for you.